Stoke Holy Cross has a very long history indeed, possibly back to Roman
times, when perhaps a newly converted
legionary from Venta Icenorum
(Caistor St Edmund) decided to plant a wooden cross
in a commanding position where
the church now stands. Facing east, south and west, it overlooked the
early settlement down the hill towards what is now Malt Kiln Farm, establishing
a strong Christian link with the whole area.
During
Anglo Saxon times (700AD onwards) the word "Stoc"
came into use meaning a wooded place with religious associations. Certainly by the time of the
Norman Conquest in 1066, the settlement had acquired several Latinised names to
do with the Holy Cross, viz. STOKE CRUCIS (of the cross); STOKE SCI CRUCE (at
the Holy Cross); CRUCHE STOKE (similar); CRUCHISTON and STOKE ATTE CRUCERN
(still in use in the 17th century).
In fact,
in the Domesday Book of 1087, there are eleven
references to Stoc or Stoke; so clearly it had become
a place of significance. The Book also refers to GRENESVILL, a Benedictine
Chapel, probably at Blackford Hall where remains
still exist. It is recorded that the "Manors" of Grenesvill
and Stoc were united in 1285, not long after which
the stone and flint foundations of the present church were laid. The first
vicar, Thomas de Boyton, was appointed in 1330.
But
tragically the Black Death smote these shores in 1347, and decimated the
population, causing the few survivors to move away to the north, neglecting
their fine new church.
So began
a long period of decline for Stoke, with many disasters elsewhere, such as the
destruction of the monasteries in 1530-40 and the Civil War of 1642-49. Vicars
were not appointed for many years and by 1600 the church was said to be in
"ruinous and decayed".
In the 18th
century the decline continued, with only occasional visits of clergy from
Norwich, and of course there was no parsonage. Farming too reflected this sad
time, with the land in the village being called "stony Stoke".
At last,
a revival again in the early 1800s with the appearance of the energetic
Jeremiah Coleman at the Mill to establish his celebrated mustard dynasty and to
provide much needed employment. Jeremiah was a devout Baptist but co-operated
when a new Vicar, John Bailey was appointed in 1838. They combined to set up
"The New Benefit Society" for the sick and needy.
This new
optimistic outlook was reinforced when a wealthy banker, Henry Birkbeck, decided to build his large mansion of Stoke Hall
in 1851, offering good jobs in the house and on his large estate. Though the Birkbecks, too, were not Anglicans, they provided much
needed financial support for the Church, enabling important rebuilding and
maintenance to be carried out in the 1870s. They also provided land and money
for the Church Hall to be built after 1900 for "rites and ceremonies of
the Church of England", with the Parochial Church council as
"Managing Trustees".
Vicars
since Bailey died in 1884 have continued to make theirs marks distinctively;
for example, Reginald Caudwell (1922-29) was the first holder of the United
Benefice of Stoke and Dunston (which had both Rector
and Curate); William Chandler (1930-51) was a great recorder of village life
and gossip in the 1930s; Oswald Glass (1951-58) encouraged and built a strong
choir; George Wilkinson (1959-80) was known as Lancashire George, and was
respected for his generosity and hospitality; and David Broome (1981-2000), a
big man in every way, had many fruitful ideas, coining the name "The Venta Group", introducing charismatic services, greatly
encouraging youth, making useful additions in the building - such as a kitchen
and toilet, and moving screen and organ to their present positions. Now the
church has its first lady Vicar, who with all her energy and resourcefulness,
will continue the Christian message here.
This text
has been kindly provided by Michael Ranson who has
written a larger History of Stoke booklet which can be obtained direct from him
at 16 Mill Green, Stoke Holy Cross, Norwich, Norfolk.